If you were a passenger in a rideshare accident, you may be feeling overwhelmed and confused. When an accident happens while using a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, it can leave you feeling uncertain about who is responsible for your medical bills and any property damage you sustained in the wreck. Depending on the circumstances, legal action may need to be taken.
Whatever the circumstances, it’s important to know what steps to take after being involved in any type of motor vehicle accident, but especially when there are additional complexities due to being a rideshare passenger. This blog post will provide tips about what to do if you’re a passenger in a rideshare accident.
Tips for What to Do if You’re a Passenger in a Rideshare Accident
The following are a few tips about what to do if you’re a passenger in a rideshare accident in West Virginia:
- Know your rights as a rideshare passenger. When involved in a rideshare accident, it is important to know your rights as a passenger. Depending on the circumstances and nature of the accident, there may be various authorities with whom you will need to interact, such as law enforcement and insurance companies. It is important that you understand what they will require of you so you can cooperate accordingly.
- Seek medical attention if necessary. After any rideshare accident, it is important to ensure that you are seeking appropriate medical attention if necessary. If you are experiencing any physical symptoms due to the accident, such as pain or discomfort, it is advised to seek medical help right away. For issues that may be less urgent, it's still highly recommended that you consult with a medical professional to understand the extent of your injuries and develop a plan for further treatment or management. Additionally, seeking medical attention can provide you with evidence to support your legal claims in the event of a lawsuit or settlement.
- Exchange contact information with the other drivers. Following a rideshare accident, it is important to exchange contact information with the other driver or drivers involved in the crash. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, and insurance information. Also remember to note the make and model of the vehicles involved in the wreck, and their license plate numbers. Additionally, it would help to secure the contact information of anyone who witnessed the crash.
- Document the scene of the accident, including taking photos of any damage to vehicles or property. Documenting the scene of the accident is a necessary step in ensuring you are correctly compensated for any damages. Photos should be taken right away of your injuries, all vehicles, and any associated property damage, as this will act as critical evidence for your case. Remember never to move the cars if possible until the authorities have arrived and documented everything properly. The photos can be taken with a digital camera or on your smartphone and should include views from different angles to accurately capture any damage.
- File a police report and notify your insurance provider. Following a rideshare accident, one of the most important things you should do is contact the police and file an official report. This can be done either through calling 911 at the scene or by visiting your local police station in person. Additionally, it is important to notify your insurance provider as soon as possible to ensure that you are financially covered for all necessary medical treatments. Keeping a record of all documents and communication related to the accident will be beneficial in case any legal procedures are required.
- Contact the rideshare company you used to understand their policies and procedures. If you have been the victim of a rideshare-related accident, it is important to contact the rideshare company to understand their policies and procedures. Doing so ensures that you are notified in regard to any insurance forms or requirements needed for filing a claim. Only with knowledge of the company’s policies can you maximize your ability to receive compensation for damages or injuries. Additionally, speaking directly to a customer service representative helps ensure that there are no misunderstandings due to miscommunication.
To learn more about what to do if you’re a passenger involved in a rideshare accident, call Katz, Kantor, Stonestreet & Buckner, PLLC at (304) 713-2014 or contact us online today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our experienced rideshare accident attorneys in West Virginia.