Truck accidents can be disastrous and often result in severe injuries. Among the different types of truck accidents, jackknife truck accidents are some of the most dangerous ones. Jackknife accidents occur when the trailer of a truck swings around and creates a V-shape with the front part of the truck. In this blog post, we will discuss what to do if you’re injured in a jackknife truck accident due to another’s negligence.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Jackknife Truck Accident in West Virginia
Being involved in any kind of auto accident is challenging, but a jackknife truck accident could be a life-altering experience. It is essential to take quick and necessary steps to deal with the aftermath of a jackknife truck accident. Here are a few steps injury victims and their families should take following a jackknife truck accident:
- Seek medical attention – Following any auto accident, the first thing you should do is check for any injuries. Often, adrenaline can mask the pain of injuries, so it is always a good idea to get examined by a medical professional even if you feel you didn’t suffer any serious injuries. Sometimes injuries don’t manifest right away, so having a medical report is always helpful in case any medical issues arise later.
- Collect evidence – Preserving evidence at the scene is crucial if you hope to hold a negligent trucker or trucking company accountable following a jackknife truck accident. Take photos and videos of the accident scene, including the vehicle damage, traffic signals, and any visible injuries. You should also collect contact information from any witnesses. You should get the name, contact details, insurance information, and license plate number of the truck driver and the trucking company.
- Report the accident – Report the accident to the police and call your insurance company. If law enforcement officials are at the scene, make sure to provide them with an accurate account of the accident. Do not admit fault or speak negatively about the accident as anything you say could be used against you.
- Get legal representation – Consulting with a truck accident lawyer is often your best bet. A lawyer who specializes in truck accidents can help you navigate the complexities of filing an injury claim and can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Your attorney can review the details of the accident, evaluate the available evidence, and help you negotiate with the insurance companies.
- Document your recovery process – Keep a record of your doctor's visits, medical bills, and any physical therapy sessions you undergo because of the injuries you sustained in the truck accident. This record will be helpful for your lawyer and insurance company to establish how the injuries have affected your daily life and how much compensation you need because of it.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Experienced Jackknife Truck Accident Attorneys Today!
If you've been injured in a jackknife truck accident due to someone else's negligence, you deserve justice. However, taking on truckers, trucking companies, and their insurance providers alone can be extremely challenging. That's why it's important to have an experienced truck accident lawyer on your side.
For almost a hundred years, Katz, Kantor, Stonestreet & Buckner, PLLC has been dedicated to assisting injury victims and their families. Our team of experienced truck accident attorneys has a proven track record of achieving favorable outcomes for our clients. We fight to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost income, future medical costs, and daily living expenses.
To learn more about Katz, Kantor, Stonestreet & Buckner, PLLC, take a look at our clients’ reviews.